Saturday, August 4, 2007

A Poem

This is not something I am likely to do often, but given that this poem provided the title to this blog, & the fact that I don't think anyone really ever comes to this blog, I'm going to post a poem here. As with any poem I have written, this one is not finished, & is in fact very close to its original form. So judge not too harshly.



Reading Them Right Now

Reading them right now, with my car
pouring anti-freeze uncontrollably
in the street, stranded, sipping coffee,

I thought of how once when I used to
see you more often you would
dance impromptu excursions of arms

hinged like the scarecrow
from the Wizard of Oz
and hips and legs like

a mermaid’s lower body.
I missed you then,
and wondered if you might

be stranded in your new city
thinking of me or if you
settled in unconsciously

like so many of those beetles
that look like ladybugs
that took over our city

years ago when we lived near each other.
I had hoped many times before
that you would miss me, but somehow, there,

reading them right then, with
my car pouring anti-freeze uncontrollably
in the street, stranded, sipping coffee,

I thought of you and hoped
that I was the last thing
on your mind; wished

that you would never feel stranded
and only when you danced deliberately
might I cross your mind for a moment,

but only because you wanted me
to, never, like the anti-freeze
pooling at my feet, uncontrollably.